Key findings from the 2014 Year-End Devenir HSA Research Report, which reports on Health Savings Accounts:
- HSA accounts approach 14 million. HSA accounts rose to 13.8 million, holding over $24 billion, a year over year increase of 25% for HSA assets and 29% for accounts for the period of December 31st, 2013 to December 31st, 2014.
- Health plans drive growth. During 2014, health plans were the leading driver of new account growth, accounting for 35% of new accounts.
- Continued strong market fuels HSA investment growth. HSA investment assets reached an estimated $3.2 billion in December, up 40% year over year. The average investment account holder has a $12,995 average total balance (deposit and investment account).
- Investors show solid returns. Investors achieved an average annualized return of 12.5% on their HSA investments over the last 3 years.
- HSA assets exceed $27 billion January 2015. The 2015 January HSA Supplement Survey found that HSAs grew to over $27 billion in assets by the end of January, 2015.