Headlines I Wish I Hadn’t Seen

Why thretirement-crackede disabled on Medicaid can’t afford to retire. Here’s how Chile solved that problem.

ObamaCare pushes doctors and hospitals to consolidate; then the FTC and the DOJ claim they’ve violated anti-trust law.

30 percent fewer “young invincibles” enrolled in ObamaCare than expected; administration gets two Pinocchios.

More than 1,100 IRS employees who owe back taxes received more than $1 million in bonuses and more than 10,000 hours in time-off awards.

Comments (14)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Matthew says:

    “Yet because of the odd rules around Medicaid eligibility and the differential treatment of earned and unearned income, he literally cannot retire.”

    Just think, now it is expanding in half of the states in the U.S.

    • Walter Q. says:

      What Chile is doing with their retirement system is very interesting, as they split it up into tiers to meet the needs for individuals in different situations.

    • Thomas says:

      The struggle to retire is growing higher and higher in this stagnant economy.

  2. Thomas says:

    “St. Luke’s Health System thought they had the Obama administration on their side because the federal health-care law encourages hospitals to collaborate with doctors to improve quality and lower costs.”

    To borrow a quote from a blog post earlier today, “Can Anything Be Trusted in This Administration?”

    • Jose says:

      Even with good intentions to do what ObamaCare encourages, health care organizations get dinged by ObamaCare’s policies. Not sure how it can be justified that they broke any law when doing what they were “encouraged” to do.

      • Buddy says:

        Even when you try to do right by the new health care law, there is always some unforeseen stipulation by the bureaucrats.

  3. James M. says:

    “Thirty-five percent of people who enrolled through the federal marketplace are under the age of 35.”

    Well the president wasn’t wrong, he just failed to mention that some of that group were between ages 1-18.

    • Bill B. says:

      Not to mention that 18-35 is vastly more relevant, and at 28% enrolled. That’s a little over a quarter of enrolled.

      • Jay says:

        Are we still supposed to assume there will be no death spiral? It doesn’t seem like we can write it off

        • Bill B. says:

          If young invincibles are only 28% of the enrolled, how will they pay for the remaining 72% who are likely older and costlier?

  4. Bill B. says:

    “IRS employees who had been disciplined for tax and conduct issues were nonetheless rewarded with monetary awards or time off, according to a watchdog report released Tuesday.”

    This is evidence that those in charge will abuse their powers

    • Buddy says:

      “…more than 1,100 employees who had issues with tax compliance received more than $1 million in monetary awards and more than 10,000 hours in time-off awards.”

      This is ridiculous, are their no measures to keep people that work in these institutions in check?

    • Jay says:

      I didn’t know there was a way to make the IRS even more unlikeable, but they did it.