A survey conducted by America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) is the largest of its kind. Here are the highlights:
- The number of people with Health Savings Account (HSA)/High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) coverage rose to 10 million in January 2010, up from 8 million in January 2009, and 6.1 million in January 2008.
- Overall, enrollment in HSA/HDHP coverage in the group market rose to 8.0 million in January 2010, up from 6.2 million in January 2009.
- Nearly 3 million lives were enrolled in HSA/HDHP coverage in the small-group market, and almost 5 million lives were covered in the large-group market.
- Enrollment in the individual market rose to 2.1 million covered lives in January 2010, up from 1.8 million in January 2009.
- HSA/HDHP plans accounted for 11 percent of all new health insurance purchases in January 2010.