How happy are physicians with their careers?
• About 84% said they like being a physician.
• Nearly as many were happy with their choice of specialty.
• Yet, two-thirds said they used to enjoy being a physician much more than they do today.
More than half do not regret anything about their choice of a career path. However, one-in-five would choose a career outside of medicine if they could go back and do it all over again.
What bugs doctors?
• Four-in-ten believe there is too much interference by third-parties;
• Nearly 14% believe their ability to practice independently is slipping.
• Nearly three-quarters have no interest in becoming a patient-centered medical home.
About 10% are working in a direct-pay practice, while 43% are considering it. Yet, nearly 40% believe high deductible health plans and cost-sharing are a barrier to good health care for their patients.
Most docs are workaholics
• Only one-quarter work fewer than 40 hours per week,
• About 46% work more than 50 hours per week.
• Understandably, 70 percent don’t have as much personal time as they wish they had.
Only about half believe they have a good work/life balance. Just over half do not believe they can afford to sacrifice income to work less.